Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 7

So, I have successfully completed a week stay in the Switzerland... Hmm, not bad!

Today was a usual day... had planned to go to the museum, but got late, will go tomorrow... walked to coop with nanaji... he had coffee, i had ice cream... our first voluntary spending outside...

Very near to our home is a place they called Messeplatz, which is a hub for global events. And right opposite to that is the Ramada Plaza, the hotel. And the area between these two plazas is a very youthful place. Kids ride bicycles, teenagers experiment with their skate boarding stunts, lovers come to the cafe, and older people play chess... and this ain't your regular chess! The chess board is painted on the concrete of the road... and there are two to three foot tall idols of the pawns, the elephants, the horses and other forces of each kingdom. And people stand on the chess board and play it (by moving the pieces). I was reminded of the game of chess from the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I learnt my third authentic dish, the Chinese fried rice. We made it with whatever was left of the vegetables: the carrots, onions and peas. And I loved it in spite of the fact that it was too hot (temperature wise) and too hot (because of excess chilly). I was too hungry!!

Me and Anumama went to the coop and got home some vegetables (finally!!) and some bread. So, now I can cook myself a lunch tomorrow! And I can also make a sandwich for a takeaway to the museum!

Anyways, today was the Swiss Republic Day. And they had fireworks at midnight. Anumama was supposed to come with me... but he got caught in some work. So, it was pretty much myself. I boarded the surprisingly crowded Tram no. 6 without a ticket as Anumama told me, and got off at some point I had never been before, and more importantly, at a place and in a direction where I was not supposed to go...

But, there was a large crowd, so, this was 'also' one of the place from where I could see the fireworks!! Shucks, who cares what angle I see it from. I informed Anumama and he confirmed whether I knew how to come back. I did! So, at 11 o'clock in the night, I was standing above the Rhine looking at the beautiful sky and the colorful lights that decorated it...

The fireworks were brilliant... The atmosphere was charged up... There were thousands of people surrounding me... Most of them with their partners... Rest of them with their families... A sudden emptiness filled inside me... I became aware that all of my loved ones are far away... saat samandar paar... and amongst all the merry people I started feeling lonely... but that lasted for another two minutes... until I saw the moon... it was also alone... and it was enjoying the fireworks... and then we exchanged a meaningful look, and the loneliness was gone...

I enjoyed the fireworks, the atmosphere, the newness of the place that I was in, the difference in the culture and the freedom... I stayed for sometime after the fireworks were over... There was loud music around and people were dancing and drinking... I tried to capture some parts of it in my camera...

I got back to the tram station, on the tram, off the tram, in the house, and in the bed... the wretched tooth ache..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment