Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 3

Hmmm... today was a bit slow and lazy... I got up with a head ache! Ania popped me a firangi pill which worked its wonder in less than 5 minutes. I was supposed to make lunch today. But as I was about the enter the kitchen (not knowing what time is it, and more importantly, what time they have their lunch), Ania asked,

"Yuu weel haaf soop?" She hails from the Poland.

I wanted to ask weather it contained meat.

"Eet's veg" she said as if reading me mind.

But, concepts like Veg and Non-veg don't exist here. And right I was. After I had finished with my soup, I noticed the bowl from which she had served me the liquid in the soup (the soup had boiled vegetables with this liquid which led me into believing it was really veg) There was a big lump, or should I say half of what I later found out, a rabbit!! YUCKH!!! She fed me the hormones and tissues of a rabbit!! (Please don't tell my dad about this incident. He believes, I am a good brahmin who wouldn't get past an egg)

Anyways, a soup is a whole meal here, so this one took care of our lunch.

I held Wiktor for the first time in the evening. He was so tiny but surprisingly, powerful. As he struggled to move out of my arms for god only knows what reasons, I struggled to manage this 27 days old wailing miniscule version of my mama with all my careful might. Finally, Ania came back from her laundry and took over him. The effects mothers have on their infants is worth a see.

And as Ania spent some time bathing him, I started preparing for the Dinner.

These guys have a very healthy habit of having dinner by 6. My mama gets back around that time, and as soon as he gets home, he cries out like a baby for food. He has to has to HAS TO have food within 15 minutes of his arrival.

And he made me quit my preparation for the pulav and made me prepare Chicken Mughlai!! It was so goddamn disgusting. The smell, the texture, the volume of the meat was offending me. Still, I was determined to adjust to any living condition the Europe put me into. I did not wanted to be a good Brahmin girl who lives within the limits of her family and is extremely proud of it too.

So, here was my first chicken preparation.

Then I started proceeding with my pulav, for which I only had mushrooms, tomatoes, cauliflower and carrot. And with mama's instructions, and my expertise, we came up with something my mama named 'Khichada' The rice had almost turned into pudding because of the excess water. I had only used salt and turmeric as seasoning. And the whole mess turned int a puddle. Fortunately, Ania took two helpings. Because she liked it, or because she was OK with any rice preparation or because I was sitting next to her and she did not want to hurt me, or because the salad and raita made it bearable, is completely unknown.

So, as is the custom here, we went for a long walk... in the rains. Yes, it was raining and I had two umbrellas, a large bag of empty wine bottles to be disposed, a bottle of milk freshly purchased, and the keys to the house in my hands. And my mama happily drank some juice watching me struggling to carry this stuff. He has a weird sense of humor. Most people don't like it. But it is OK with me.

Anyways, so we came home and spent some time looking up the internet for some Post Graduate courses for me in Sweden, the Welfare state. And I was dissappointed to find out, every course in Technology required an Engineering or a Science degree. Finally, there was one from the Stockholm University which was OK with a degree in Business Admin., if that is what I can call mine. So, the Strategic IT Management, sounds pretty cool as my area of specialization for masters.

And off I went to bed after having some biscottis at around 1 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment